Blog Archives

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Just So You Know....

"....Just so you know, Leslie's a lesbian," Kami said.

Huh.
What a reintroduction to my high school class.

I stood there and quietly studied Leslie.
She's an imposing figure, quite tall.
Short hair.
I can't remember her dating anyone in high school, either,
now that I think of it.

Find the lesbian. Find the rumormonger. Locate the innocent.


Yep, she must be a lesbian.

"Well, okay" I said to Kami.
It makes no difference to me.
After all, it is practically hip to be a lesbian or a cross-dresser these days anyhow.
Or at least gender misidentified.

I could practically hear the song "Hip to be Square"
following me like a cloud.

After greeting several other classmates,
Melanie and I took a quick run over to the bar
to get Cosmopolitans
and, of course, discuss Leslie and our initial impressions
of our classmates.
This picture is actually from the plane. Whatever.

After that, it was a whirlwind of greetings,
hugs, laughter
and surprisingly frequent lesbian references.
Nothing like getting a group of Parochial school
graduates together to hear repressed adolescent humor!
The more things are different, the more they stay the same.

We left around 1 AM.
I made Melanie drop me off at the hotel
and she went on out with a few other people
for a while longer.

While there, she found out that Leslie is NOT
a lesbian.
She's married, has a son and her husband is in the military.

Okay, then.

Think that whole thing is weird?
So do I!

answer: left to right: Leslie, the presumed lesbian, Holly the innocent and Kami the rumormonger.

2 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I am totally enjoying this, Leeann!!! How funny that all night everyone was discussing this poor woman being a lesbian and it wasn't even true!

And, by the way, I had that blonde picked out as the gossip monger from the second I looked at her. She just looks like the word mischief personified!

Was this an all girls school?

cdgilpin said...

Leeann,

Great to see you in Houston! It was terrific to catch up and I am glad to see you and everyone else are doing well. So far, we had no axe murderers, but among those who didn't show and still live in Houston, who knows? That's two strikes against them right there. ;-)

Anyway, take care and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.