Blog Archives

Thursday, July 11, 2019

And now it is summer....

Gosh, in my last post it was January and Trey was taking midterms. Now he is finished with his Junior Year (can I get a FREAKING GLORY HALLELUJAH here?!) and summer is about five weeks in.

Life is good right now.

Trey actually did reasonably well his Junior Year, grades are locked in. He has completed college testing. Essay is written (but needs a bit more amending) and activities have been recorded. He's at camp for this month but upon his return it will be college application time.

Yep, you read that right. He is indeed planning on applying to colleges and seems to be very positive about that idea now, much more so than at the midpoint of his Junior Year.  Ultimately it is his decision, of course, but comments to his pediatrician and guidance counselor in June seem to point strongly in that direction for him. He tested well for the colleges on his list.

Changes are coming fast for the other two as well. Chris is working at the FTC this summer as an intern and then will be studying in Amsterdam for the first semester of his Junior Year of college. Crazy!! I am super excited for him. Chris is an Adventurer and I know he will soak up this opportunity to travel and see part of the world.

Kate has taken on a new position at her school and is also continuing to work on her Master's degree at Penn State. Very proud of her! Bobby changed jobs and seems much happier and more challenged at his new place of business.

Rob is doing well although he has had a couple of minor health concerns pop up recently. Luckily he will be able to work through them over time.

As for me, I am looking forward to this new chapter that is coming over the next year. I have been a parent for 24 years now and that is a long time to devote one's time and energy to... and let's face it, to some degree your identity. Over time I think I lost some sense of myself, and battled back toward it over the past five years. 

This year though I am really moving things along. First, I took an "as needed" job as a Concierge at a CCRC not far from home. I am enjoying the people and the work, and it is an excellent way to dip my toe in the pool. Being as needed, I can accept the shifts I want to and turn down the ones I don't, which allows me the freedom to manage the home, husband and kid when things get hairy, plus travel when the opportunity presents (like in October, to Amsterdam!)

Even more exciting, though, is that I am beginning the certification process to become a Postpartum Doula and a Lactation Counselor. These are areas I feel passionate about and I feel that my knowledge and skill sets will be well used here. I can work for myself, as little or as much as I want or that family life will allow, plus the skills I learn will be useful for future Moms and grand babies hopefully in my own household as well!

My training is in New York City in a week. OMG! Nervous, excited, doubtful and hopeful.. all the feelings! 

That's the update from here. We are chugging along, and some of us are getting off a new station!

No comments: