Blog Archives

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Five Things Friday, Two Days Late


Man, that was the lamest blog title ever. :)

1-
The boys and I are continuing with our quest to watch 80's-ish movies. It's fun to see them making all the connections (Bill Murray! John Candy! Chevy Chase!) at how the same actors/actresses keep reappearing in various roles. Favorites remain What About Bob and Groundhog Day. This week watched The Wedding Singer and Look Who's Talking. Rob and I agree that some of the movies aren't as funny as we remember them being. I thought Look Who's Talking was hilarious when I saw it as a teen. I blame the E-Trade Baby.

2-
I did something I said I would never do this week. Dinner was at that critical point of readiness, when all the different dishes and sides were coming together at the same moment. I needed kids in the kitchen, STAT. Called the boys and they responded from their various locations. Called Kate, heard nothing. Called Kate again, louder. Nothing. SHRIEKED for Kate at the top of my ever-loving lungs- nothing. I had too much going on to go get her. I glanced over at my cell phone, then looked away. NO. I always said I would never be that parent who texts my kid in my own house. If there is anything I should know by now, as a parent, it is to NEVER SAY NEVER.

Yes, I texted. And she came right away.
Hmmm.

3-
One of the best things about having kids is that it really does make you begin to understand God's grace. No matter how angry I get at my kids, no matter how frustrated or disappointed, every day is a clean slate and a new day. I am always happy to see them in the morning and that happiness overwhelms any lingering feelings I may have. They don't earn that love- it's involuntary on my part. It just IS.

4-
Kate had her Prom this week. She looked gorgeous and stunning. I can hardly believe that this time of having girls in the house, primping and giggling and preparing, has come to an end. It was a privilege to be a part of it.
Kate and her handsome friend Parker.

5-
Chris will be confirmed at our church today. I'm looking forward to the service and proud of him for the many hours he put in this year toward the confirmation process.

No comments: