Blog Archives

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Backlog


I really like to read.

As a kid, I would go to the library and bring home a giant stack of books.
I'd devour them one by one in the solitude of my room, while my mom begged and pleaded for me to go outside and play.
I'd read them in the car and at school and at the table.

In recent years, unfortunately, I have found my attention span getting shorter and shorter.
While I'd love to blame it on being busy or on my kids,
the truth of the matter is that I am distracted by the many electronic gadgets and options that surround me.

There's always shows on the DVR that I want to watch.
There's email to read, Facebook to catch up on,
games to play and my blog to write (and that has suffered, for sure!)

Between the library and Paperback Swap (Paperbackswap.com),
the stack beside my bed has grown to ENORMOUS proportions.

Here's a list of books waiting to be read:

(from the library:)
Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford
Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism by Paul Collins
It's Not All Flowers and Sausages: My Adventures in Second Grade by Mrs. Mimi
Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin

(books I have acquired and need to read:)
What It Takes to Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out by David L. Marcus
Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table by Ruth Reichl
Night by Elie Wiesel (re-read)
The Virginity Club by Kate Brian
How to Be Good by Nick Hornby
The Way of Boys: Promoting the Social and Emotional Development of Young Boys by Anthony Rao, PhD
Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood to Adulthood by Edward M. Hallowell M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D.
Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff (re-read)
The Girls by Lori Lansens
A Widow's Walk: A Memoir of 9/11 by Marian Fontana
Wedded Bliss?: Romance Needs Restored During Four Silver Wedding Anniversaries by Susan K Downs, Kristy Dykes, Sally Laity and Carrie Turansky
The Shack by William P. Young
The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer
and
The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer.

Obviously, something needs to change and I intend on making that change today,
pledging to devote some time each day to decreasing my stack!

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Hi there! I love reading lists of books that other people have, is that weird? I was a bookworm growing up, too, I can totally relate. Last year I rediscovered my love for reading and I haven't looked back. I know all the electronic fun stuff beckons, but getting lost in the pages of a book, sigh, bliss! Maybe you need an e-reader! I have a Kindle and I just love it. Thanks for posting and good luck with your goal to read every day!