Blog Archives

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Menu Plan Monday with recipe

It's not easy to sit here and plan a menu tonight,
after spending a morning in the bathroom with a stomach virus.

But we moms all know that these things must be done
and I'll be glad for doing it later on in the week.

So, here ya go!
Our menu plan, complete with a recipe for a tried and true family favorite.
Let me be clear, this is a tried and true family favorite from MY childhood
and my kids all love it.
Rob hates it, however. He's NOT a casserole type of guy. So we have it when he works late!

Monday: roasted chicken in the crockpot, rice, gravy, broccoli (carryover from last week)
Tuesday: breaded steak, corn pudding
Wednesday: tacos and/or taco salad,  fruit
Thursday: chicken cheese casserole (recipe below), green beans, cornbread or rolls
Friday: omelets and muffins
Saturday: chicken enchiladas and quesadillas.

For more great menu ideas, please visit Laura at Orgjunkie.com.

CHICKEN CHEESE CASSEROLE

1 TB butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp celery salt
2 cups coarsely diced, cooked chicken (this  is a great use for leftover chicken)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups white rice, measured before cooking, cooked.
2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic and celery salt and saute until soft. Meanwhile, cook 2 cups rice. Minute rice works fine in this recipe. Add the can of chicken soup to the sauteed onion mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the evaporated milk and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture over medium heat for three minutes. Stir in the chicken, then the rice. Stir in one cup of cheddar cheese.

Spray a 9 x 13 casserole pan with Pam. Pour casserole mixture into pan. Top with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over all. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until casserole is hot and bubbly.

Enjoy! 
Oh! and options: my mom used to make this with a can of mushrooms and some pimientos in it as well.  You could also add water chestnuts, if you wanted a little crunch.

8 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I hope you are feeling better! And I think the casserole sounds delish. I've got a casserole from my childhood that Hubby hates as well. Sometimes I guess things are just an acquired taste - LOL!

Gina said...

I'm sorry you were sick! Ick

The cassarole sounds good to me but Bob would hate it too. I may try it out the next time he is gone.

Forgetfulone said...

I hope you're feeling better. I love the name of your blog!

Menu plan looks delicious, and great recipe. I will try that.

nicrogers said...

I think we must have been on the same manu planning energy plane or something. I dont know. lol But my menu is very similar to yours this week. Mike is not very fond of casseroles either. Actually, caitey and I are the only ones that really like them very much. Oh well. They eat, or they starve.

Hope you are better soon!

Jenny said...

Hope you're feeling better.

I'll have to try your recipe - looks yummy! I'm in dire need of favorites.

Aisling said...

chicken in the oven, with cheese, heck, I don't need to know what else is in it, I know it's going to be good! heeheee.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better! I commend you for even thinking about food while you are sick. That usually makes me feel even sicker! I think the casserole sounds pretty good.

Cindi said...

The recipe sounds great...I may have to give it a try!

I give you a LOT of credit for even THINKING about food when you're dealing with a stomach virus!! Hope you feel better soon!