Blog Archives

Monday, March 10, 2008

For Natalie, with an air kiss!

Hi everyone, My good buddy Natalie (from Finn's CaringBridge site and now from "Can I Control My Life if I Can't Control My Hair?" asked me for my chicken teriyaki recipe. I am glad to pass it on to you, Natalie. This is a big hit in my family.

CHICKEN TERIYAKI
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin and visible fat removed (legs & thighs are fine) (Leeann-I use thighs)
  • 3/4 cup pineapple juice OR apple juice OR use the leftover juice from canned fruit OR a combination which suits your circumstances (Leeann- We have liked it best so far using the heavy syrup from a can of peaches)
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar ( Leeann- I use rice vinegar and low sodium soy sauce)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger (I use 1/4teaspoon)
  • 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet. Arrange the chicken in the skillet. Fry over medium-high heat until the chicken browns slightly. Turn and brown the other side too. Pour the pineapple or other fruit juice into the skillet. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, dry ginger and garlic. Stir the sauce around the chicken to dissolve the sugar and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer, covered for about 45 minutes. The liquid in the pan will thicken and coat the chicken in a very attractive sticky brown sauce. If the liquid is too watery, then remove the lid and simmer for a few minutes, or until it thickens up. Serve over rice. Makes 6 servings.

Note: We like a nice, thick sauce so in the last few minutes, I mix a tablespoon of corn starch with a little over a tablespoon of cold water and stir that in and let it boil for a couple of minutes. Hope you like it! Let me know!

7 comments:

Jody said...

Yum. THis would be yummy with some chopped cabbage and broccoli stirfry.....maybe with some egg noodles mixed in.

Hmm...the only thing I am missing in my pantry is some soy sauce!

Thanks for a great dinner idea!

nicrogers said...

Leeann, I made this a couple months ago and we loved it. Yum!

dkuroiwa said...

Hey Leeann...thanks for doing this. Funny that, I can't find a good teriyaki sauce here that I like!!! Will try this and let you know what "the boys" think. I'm also going to use fresh ginger (I don't have any powdered).
Have a good day!!
debbie

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I'm definitely going to try this one.

Natalie said...

Thank you! It's going on the list of dinners next week!

Anonymous said...

Leeann,
I have a very similar recipe and I have a tip for you for a thicker sauce: Toss the chicken in a couple tablespoons of corn starch before you fry it. It makes the chicken crispier, too!
The Lurker

Leeann said...

Hi ya, Lurker!

That is a fantastic suggestion. I will definitely try it next time.

Feel free to introduce yourself sometime! ;-)

Leeann