Blog Archives

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Getting Deep


Some of my deepest and most philosophical conversations happen with my 12 year old son.
He's always been prone to surprisingly mature conversations for his age and in fact many of his fears are rooted in the fact that he thinks and worries a lot about things.

Tonight, while I was tucking him in, was one such moment.

T: "Mom, you know how you have told me that when we get old, when we are getting ready to die, that somehow we are ready? That we'll be less afraid of death?"

Me: "Yes."

T: "Well, I believe that's true and I'm not really as afraid of death as I used to be. What I'm really afraid of is when you and Dad die. I'm going to miss you so much."

Me: "It is sad when parents die. I worry about it sometimes too. I know I will cry and be sad, but I also hope that I remember happy times and things that they told me."

T: "Will you do something for me? Will you impart one special piece of information that I can keep in my heart before you die?"

Me: "Yes. I hope I am able to tell you lots of things that you will hold on to in your heart and use to help you in your life."

T: "Yeah I know, Mom, but one really important one. A special one."

Me: "Okay. I will. And I'll give you one right now, a bonus one for now. Don't make decisions based on fear. Don't skip things because you are afraid you will fail. Try things. Live your life fully and not based on fear."
__________

Wow,  just WOW.

So I've been sitting here, mulling over what that special nugget would be.
I've covered religious ideas/salvation, love others nuggets, etc already.

So here's the question:

If there were ONE nugget of information that you were going to impart to your child (excluding religious salvation) just prior to your death, what would it be? Name one, or several.



No comments: